Skulltag Archive

Hosted by Dark-Assassin

The default theme was not avalible in the backup, sorry.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Hide n' Seek - Just like old times~ (Version 1) 

Presented by:

[CHAOS CORE]

irc.quakenet.org #ChaosCore

What Is It?
Hide n Seek is a new modification for Skulltag by the skilled members of the development team of ChaosCore. The idea behind it was a lot like the user-controlled games of Hide n Seek played in standard LMS on Skulltag way back in the day. RosKing took this idea and presented it to Xenaero who began diligently working on subsequent releases, soon gathering a mapping team and chipping away at suitable maps for this modification. This wasn't easy as this required inventing a whole sub-genre of maps specifically for the style of play centered around Hide n Seek! After several long periods of internal development, the team has felt comfortable with a Version 1 release on which to continue to build the modification! We hope the community finds the mod enjoyable and posts feedback so we can continue to improve it!

How Does It Work?
Game mode: Team Last Man Standing
There are 2 teams, Hiders and Seekers. Each team has 4 classes. Each class has their own set abilities.

Seekers have 5 minutes (or whatever time the server is set to, but we recommend 5 minutes!) to find the Hiders and kill them. In my past experience, it's best to scare the Hiders out and have set Seekers out in different places to kill them, The Seekers' classes don't have many abilities on their own, making them have to work more as a team to kill the Hiders. If they do not, it's likely the Hiders will be able to move freely about the map! Trap the Hiders and move in, or they may end up winning!

Hiders have to endure 5 long minutes of evading the ever-growing forces of the Seekers. Each of the Hider classes has their own attributes and special abilities that they must use or they will be found, and most likely, shot dead. Don't worry though, if you're a Hider, you are granted 200 Health and 200 Armor upon round start! Even still, being reckless will most likely get you killed, as Hiders have no offensive capabilities whatsoever. Outwit those golden suits with clever use of your class, and you will come out on top!

Once the time is up, all the Seekers are killed giving a point to the Hiders. Whichever team to reach the set number of round wins first wins the match. To make this easier on everyone, there's a custom timer in the bottom right hand corner of the screen displayed as you play! The best part? You can play this on any map! Although, ideally, not every map or wad works well for Hide And Seek!

What are the Classes available? What do they do?
~ The backbone of the Seekers' army, the Scouter, well...Scouts! A Scouter is a solider that's sacrificed his immense options of armament in favor of a gravity-defying Self-Replenishing Jetpack, in order to find and flush out any Hiders in high up places, so that a Hunter or a Terminator in his squad can finish them off. His speed is nothing extraordinary, but with a semi-automatic Rail-Pistol and a deadly combat knife, you don't want him near you! One other thing...This guy packs a radar that will locate any moving Seekers and also detects any Vanishers within a certain radius! Hiders beware!

~ A Hunter is the stalwart of the Seeker's mighty force, and he lives up to the full title of his name. No extermination squad should be without a well-armed, fully-trained Hunter, who carries his head (and weapons) up high. A typical Hunter carries with him with a Rapid-Fire Chaingun for long-range attacks, and a powerful Combat Shotgun for getting up close and personal. He and the Scouter or the Berserker make a perfect team, striking fear into the heart of every Hider around.

~ Armed with Fragmentation Grenades and a deadly, updated Plasma Rifle, the Terminator class is second to none in firepower. This class is slower than others, but don't let him near you, or you're in for a world of hurt. Terminators can also toss their grenades into hard-to-reach areas to flush out those sneaky, elusive Hiders! Unfortunately, his jump is lower than any other class, and equal to the Hunter. Due to this, he relies on the Berserkers and Scouters in his squad to bring the Hiders to him.

~ You've always grown up hearing those stories about the soldiers losing their minds in the heart of battle, and subsequently unleashing a berserk fury on anyone nearby, right? The Seekers have too, and they know full well of the capabilities of an insane soldier. They let the Berserkers hunt down their enemies with incredible speed. But their most identifying attribute is their scream of rage as they look for any Hiders foolish enough to let themselves get caught and punched mercilessly into a bloody goo by this madman.

~ Nicknamed appropriately, the Blazer is someone who's had just too much damned caffeine. His speed is unparalleled, such that only the Seeker's Berserker is on par with the Blazer, and even still, that's no guarantee he can be caught outright! He has no other tools in his favor, so a skilled Blazer must outwit and more importantly, outrun the Seekers to find a hiding spot. You'd better have a plan to catch a Blazer if you've found him!

~ The Vanisher, perhaps the most elusive and slippery Hider of them all. He sports nothing more than a high-tech suit of armor. While that doesn't sound like much, you'd have to see it to believe it! That is, if you can see it. This Hider's suit of armor turns his whole body translucent, blending the Vanisher in with his surroundings. It goes without saying that if a skilled Vanisher found a dark spot, it'd be near impossible for a Seeker to locate him. A Vanisher has to pay special care to stay still, as movement will make him even more visible to enemies.

~ Despite his humorous name, the Rocketeer is one hell of a Hider to catch. Armed with nothing more than a No-Damage Rocket Launcher, all the Rocketeer can do is rocket jump! But that's what makes him so elusive. There's so many ways a skilled Rocketeer can escape, it takes a skilled Seeker, or a group of, to even put a bullet in him. It's hard to locate a Rocketeer once he's hidden, but harder still to catch one. On top of that, his rockets can slap Seekers around a bit.

~ The pride and joy of the Hiders, the Teleporter class is an individual who has the greatest of technology: A permanent radiation suit, and... an Automatic-Relocation Transmission Rifle. That's right, this class can use his weapon to fire an incredibly fast projectile, and where-ever it lands, it opens a dimensional rift, instantaneously relocating the operator to wherever that projectile landed. This class is perhaps the most elusive of Hiders, considering that he may be able to get to places very few can! Be careful when firing the "Teleporter Gun", though. If you fire it at an object, it will fail to teleport you. Unfortunately, you cannot teleport inside other objects, so be sure to hit a wall, floor or ceiling!

Do you have maps included with this modification?
Yes, we actually do have a set of ten maps from the official team that brought you CoreCTF! However, HnS will work on any mapset just so long as you can play Team Last Man Standing on it!
Here's a full list of the maps included as of the current release:
HNS01 - Underground Storage Facility (by) Dragonfly

HNS02 - Stormy Night (by) CaptJ3

HNS03 - December Everyday (by) Collision

HNS04 - Petrified City (by) HeavenWraith

HNS05 - Hell's Atrophy (by) Dragonfly

HNS06 - Hazardous Factory (by) RoS King

HNS07 - Construction Yard (by) Xaver

HNS08 - Capt.J3's City (by) CaptJ3

HNS09 - Samara (by) Amnesys

HNS10 - Strife Town (by) RoS King

So I want to make a map...What should I keep in mind?
Here's a checklist for any mappers to follow when making a Hide n Seek-oriented map.

Optional ideas for map authors to keep in mind while designing a HnS map

So where's a changelog and credit information?
I'm glad you asked, because all of this is kept within the PK3 itself and is updated when internal changes take place! You can find all the changelog information in the CHANGELG lump, and the credits for various resources and help given during the project's development in CREDINFO! We also have an 'Authors' screen if you wait a bit after the title screen, just like id software! For ease, I will update both the changelog and credits in the spoilers below.

Changelog as of Version 1 (08/16/10)

Credits as of Version 1 (08/16/10)

Alright, so I'm a server host and want to throw this baby up. What do I need to know?
Lots of words here explaining complicated stuff for servie hosties

That's great and all, but where are the screenshots and the download links?
You want some screenshots? You want some download links?! Ask nicely!!!

Last edited by Xenaero on Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:55 pm
Profile WWW

THIS IS UP ON CANADIAN BACON AS OF RIGHT NOW.
AND IT WILL BE UP ON NJ SHORTLY.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:56 pm

I still think Berserkers don't punch fast enough or something. If I run straight into a Hider that I'm chasing, even while holding down the fire button, there's a good chance that I won't be able to kill the Hider. In fact, running straight into a Berserker is safer than running straight into any other Seeker as long as you move past them fast enough.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:16 pm

it's funny, i've heard things on both ends. Some people hit people so often with Berserker punches some people don't.

I'm coming to the conclusion that it's fine the way it is.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:10 pm

This is exciting!
Let's just hope AoW2 doesn't ruin it.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:27 pm
Profile WWW

Damn, the Canadian Bacon serv was packed for hours. At some points I even had trouble getting back into the server because all the slots were filled!

Triple S wrote:
I still think Berserkers don't punch fast enough or something. If I run straight into a Hider that I'm chasing, even while holding down the fire button, there's a good chance that I won't be able to kill the Hider. In fact, running straight into a Berserker is safer than running straight into any other Seeker as long as you move past them fast enough.

In my personal playing experience I find it much easier to time to punches than to hold down M1.

ConflagratedCanine wrote:
This is exciting!
Let's just hope AoW2 doesn't ruin it.

I don't see how it would! These are two vastly different team based mods.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:29 pm
Profile WWW

I won't play HnS until it's hosted with GvH

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:38 pm
Profile YIM

Xenaero wrote:
In my personal playing experience I find it much easier to time to punches than to hold down M1.

I've tried that too. The punching could be made faster, but semi-automatic. At the moment a Hider has to be in front of me for around a full second before I'm able to hit them. I say "around a full second" because it seemed about that long when I sat punching a Hider who was trapped between a Scout, sign-post, wall and me.

But maybe it's a lag issue. I dunno really.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:45 pm
Retired/Inactive Staff

10/10 - Good Job

Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:50 pm
Banned

Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:15 pm
FNF Manager

ConflagratedCanine wrote:
This is exciting!
Let's just hope AoW2 & GvH don't ruin it.

Fixed.

Good job, Xen!

Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:58 am

These new levels look pimp! I can't wait to try em out. Although I do miss playing these on classic Doom 2 levels. People got really creative with their hiding spots on those old maps, it was pretty interesting.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:09 am
Profile WWW

I liked the old version better... In this one I find 5 seekers just following me around throughout the whole map... Then I get killed by a berserker camping in an elevator...

EDIT: You're welcome.

Last edited by BlueWizard on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:41 am

Oh hey, Wartorn just alerted me to the fact that dmflags3 exists (how did I miss this?!) and setting it to 1 apparently disables target identification. Added that into the server copy paste stuff.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:58 pm
Profile WWW

Very Awesome. When HnS wasn't being played anymore, I got tired of ST. I might have to start playing again if people are playing it (I doubt people aren't).

Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:03 pm

server is 13/32 atm. but it went from like 5 pm - 1/2 am last night.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:05 pm

Some maps in GvH would give the seekers an advantage.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:44 pm

Very very cool :)

Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:50 am
Profile WWW

A friendly reminder, any bugs you find should be forwarded to my PM box as well as RosKing's so we can start working on a patch for the more game breaking ones if they exist!

Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:53 pm
Profile WWW

I've probably mentioned this before in another thread, but I wish there were a way to force a certain scaling factor in SBARINFO. Because I hate having to toggle hud_scale every time i play this wad, even though i like the wad and play it often ... :/

Ah well. A great mod, anyhow. The maps are good too. My faves are CaptJ3's City and Sahara.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next