Skulltag Archive

Hosted by Dark-Assassin

The default theme was not avalible in the backup, sorry.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
sv_callvotedelay EDIT: it is now sv_limitnumvotes 

I searched "vote time", and I've found nothing in the feature suggestions.

Is this an improvement to an already-existing feature, or a new feature entirely?
Improvement

If an improvement, what original feature is it improving upon?

Calling Votes

How would this work?

The server hoster will be able to control how long it takes for a player to call another vote.

Can you give an example in how useful this feature would be?

Lets say you're in some random priv CTF server, and you've got a scrim going on, then someone calls a vote for the map too early, and everyone votes no. 2 Minutes later, everyone is ready. So someone calls the vote to see that the server has responded with a simple "You must wait 10 minutes to call this vote again". So then you have to go bug an admin about it. But, lets say there is no admin, what do we do then?
Simple. The server does sv_callvotedelay 0 So you can call another vote immediately.

Another situation would be that your alone in some random server, and you call a vote for some map, and then you accidentally hit PageDown(do'h), and the vote fails! So then what? We're stuck in the same map for about 10 minutes. But with sv_callvotedelay 0, we can just safely call another vote.

Yeah I know there are some holes, but this shouldn't be that hard to implement (I might be very very wrong). Should the server hoster have the right as to how long you must wait until you can call another vote?

On a side note: As a server hoster myself i find it annoying when I have to type in "rcon changemap map03" in the server console. Or open up the serverbox in fullscreen to change the map. That's my perspective as a server hoster. (Yes I do host)

sv_callvotedelay should work with minutes, as in...

"sv_callvotedelay 3" would make you wait 3 more minutes to call another vote.

Last edited by BlueWizard on Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:37 pm

Agreed, I don't really like the current delay system..

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:49 pm
Lead Administrator

BlueWizard wrote:

Can you give an example in how useful this feature would be?

Lets say you're in some random priv CTF server, and you've got a scrim going on, then someone calls a vote for the map too early, and everyone votes no. 2 Minutes later, everyone is ready. So someone calls the vote to see that the server has responded with a simple "You must wait 10 minutes to call this vote again". So then you have to go bug an admin about it. But, lets say there is no admin, what do we do then?
Simple. The server does sv_callvotedelay 0 So you can call another vote immediately.

Well...there are 5 others in the server with you who can call a vote...right?
BlueWizard wrote:
Another situation would be that your alone in some random server, and you call a vote for some map, and then you accidentally hit PageDown(do'h), and the vote fails! So then what? We're stuck in the same map for about 10 minutes. But with sv_callvotedelay 0, we can just safely call another vote.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to call a vote if you're solo in 'any' server.

BlueWizard wrote:
On a side note: As a server hoster myself i find it annoying when I have to type in "rcon changemap map03" in the server console. Or open up the serverbox in fullscreen to change the map. That's my perspective as a server hoster. (Yes I do host)

callvote changemap map03 in console -
rcon changemap map03 in console -

rcon is faster already if you're a server hoster, and send_password rconpasshere isn't that big of a trouble.

Personally as a competitive player and temporary server hoster at times, I've had no need to even worry about the callvote limit. The only thing that would happen is server hosters would just use rcon instead, or servers would set it to zero and watch as everyone callvotes constantly just to callvote.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's impossible to call a vote if you're solo in 'any' server.

Its possible, tried on my own server and some others.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:20 pm
Lead Administrator

BlueWizard wrote:
Its possible, tried on my own server and some others.

Forgot it was allowed in 98a if minvoters is set to 1...

Anyways even if, rcon would still be faster, and I'm sure most servers would keep the limit at ten even if it was adjustable, most people would abuse it as much as they could if it were any lower.

(If anything, lowering the base amount from ten to five would be enough, there shouldn't be any need to use a cvar as far as personal servers go, unless you intend on having dedicated servers bring down the limit to something like 3 just to fly through the mapset without even playing the maps.)

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:27 pm

But shouldn't the server hoster atleast have the freedom of controlling it?

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:04 pm

Cyber' wrote:
Well...there are 5 others in the server with you who can call a vote...right?

If a specific vote fails, like "MAP MAP04", it can't be called by any other player until some minutes pass.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:23 pm

You (the developers) could make the waiting time 5 minutes instead of 10, and that would be a nice compromise, and simpler than implementing this cvar.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:11 pm
Lead Developer

BlueWizard wrote:

Of course. I'm not sure though if it's worth the time to implement something to fine tune the delay. How about a CVAR that allows to turn of the delay completely?

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:25 am
Profile ICQ

Torr Samaho wrote:
BlueWizard wrote:

Of course. I'm not sure though if it's worth the time to implement something to fine tune the delay. How about a CVAR that allows to turn of the delay completely?

Yes Please :-D

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:37 pm
Lead Developer

Alright, I added the new CVAR sv_limitnumvotes (default true) for this purpose.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:24 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]