Skulltag Archive

Hosted by Dark-Assassin

The default theme was not avalible in the backup, sorry.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
[r360] DoomSeeker still segfaults... Doubtful it's GCC 
Skulltag Tester

DoomSeeker has been segfaulting at a very high rate, making it almost impossible to play online most of the time unless I click and join a server very quickly. After talking to many of the other players that have used DoomSeeker, it also happens to them with the Windows builds(I've also been segfaulting with the GCC build you supplied, not to mention one built off several different versions that I tested myself)

I was talking to C4 and he believes that the problem is in the thread that involves getting the server info, as sometimes it will crash but the actual GUI does not for a little bit. I think he's right, it doesn't happen all the time and it refreshes up to a certain point when it does, leading me to believe that something in a fetched server's info makes it crash(or something related, it's a theory).

If I can get you any debugging information(something besides GDB, seeing as that didn't yield much last time around) I'll send you it.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:28 pm
Developer

Weird. Recent versions of Doomseeker were pretty stable for me. And I'm talking about actual release builds that go to the end-user. Usually it crashed after 1,5 - 2 hours of autorefreshing, where every refresh occured every 30 seconds, but right now even these crashes seem to be gone.

I have a hard time debugging DLLs. GDB just spits out that it cannot find the source file. It presents a path to the correct, exisiting source file and says that "file was not found". I thought that maybe DLLs are being build without debug symbols but CMake's Release and Debug build types clearly produce files with different sizes, meaning that build types also apply to these DLLs.

If anyone knows why this happens... please HELP!

EDIT:
It just occured to me. Is there an IpToCountry.csv file inside your Doomseeker directory? Perhaps crashes are connected to this, especially since you mentioned that they occur quickly.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:43 pm
Developer

Zalewa, you need to upgrade to in order to debug DLLs. I'm not sure if precompiled binaries exist. I'm trying to compile it in my VM as we speak, but from the looks of it the process is get MSYS, cd to the gdb-7.0 source directory type "./configure" followed by "make" and wait for the process to finish.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Developer

Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Skulltag Tester

Ok a slight update to this, Actually, it seems GCC was partially responsible... Though only partially. I updated to GCC 4.4.3 from 4.4.2, and now instead of DoomSeeker Segfaulting 90% of the time it's more like 5-10%, which is much much better... Unfortunately it does still occur so something else is going on. Hey though, with GCC(hopefully) out of the way, I suppose some more bugtesting can commence. I'll post up some GDB reports when I can get some.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]