Skulltag Archive

Hosted by Dark-Assassin

The default theme was not avalible in the backup, sorry.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Making Your Wad Less Of A Pain To Download/Run 
Retired/Inactive Staff

Last edited by wildweasel on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:14 am

+ will give the best PNG compression. Irfanview does do batch conversion. Plugin made by BUILD creator Ken Silverman which makes it even more awesome.
is the best oggencoder and often gives satisfactory results at Q0-1. In my experience you can downsample to as low at 28KHZ without noticable degradation ingame. OggdropXPd uses dragndrop interface while Oggenc is CLI. Almost every ogg I've come across used a very old encoder.
If you don't want to use lossy compression use FLAC.
From my experience using PK3 with the lumps seperated instead of a single wad file compresses a little bit better.
I won't claim its the best but I often recompress wads/pk3s using 7zip and almost every time it comes out smaller.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:58 pm

I would recommend converting large textures to the TGA image format. A great thing to do if you make 3D model packs! *Cough*

Whenever they should have a 16 or 24 bit color depth depends on the texture. (If there are gradients, use 24 bit - If not, 16 bit. *Although I recommend experimenting, and see if the quality loss is worth it. *Some times gradients can actually stay there in a 16-bit color depth!*)

Oh, and don't forget to disable compression! - Because 7-Zip does a much better job compressing them. ;)

I use the AIMP2 Audio converter for converting .[something] into .ogg files. (Min. kbps: 32 - Average kbps: 48 - Max. kbps: 48) Gives amazing results. ('Almost?' no quality loss. Great size reduction.) Not to mention that the same thing happens if you do it for the AoTuV oggencoder. Most likely because it's what the program uses.

*I even added my signature.. That is a little compression guide.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:39 pm
Retired/Inactive Staff

Updated the list with Point #6, regarding ZIP/PK3 confusion.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:25 pm

Wow this is great stuff. I usually already follow these rules whenever I do stuff but I am usually very unorganized when I start things out.

I am a definite "do as you go" -er. Your tutorials are really specific on how to solve certain issues. Very nice.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Necrobump!!

No, but I have something to say here.

is a great tool if you want to smack the size of your mod down (a bit) more.
Usually it gives results about 1-3 percent better than 7-Zip, of the total size that is. Doesn't sound like much, but still worth mentioning.
This can become a pair of megabytes for big mods, which is a pair of seconds saved on a decent connection. Much more on a slower one.

You can use it on existing .pk3 files, just change the extension to .zip or .7z. But be sure to keep an original copy for the sake of security. As you can never know what could happen.

Grab the 0.05 version, as the 0.12 one can use LZMA2 - And Skulltag doesn't support that. I won't hold you back though.
Or get it from a , as the author's site links to those wait-x-seconds-for-download sites.

Watch out, as the 0.05 version can still choose to use PPMd, that too isn't supported by Skulltag.
And now I'll hope this post contributes enough for it not to count a s a necrobump.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]