Skulltag Archive

Hosted by Dark-Assassin

The default theme was not avalible in the backup, sorry.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
OPL Emulator in Skulltag 0.98e 

Hello there, I've just joined Skulltag forum only in order to post this message, cuz it's quite important to me.
Now to stat the problem. I've been playing Skulltag for more than one year (and Doom ports even more years).
I once found Zdoom and tried to play it (I used Doomsday before). When I discovered that Zdoom has an OPL emulator that can play game songs like original Sound Blaster that I always very liked, I was really amazed and played Zdoom only with OPL always after. Note that I also liked Zdoom for DECORATE and other many good features but it's not important now.
I soon discovered Skulltag and it became much more favourite, because it supported network game, runes and even more good stuff and what more, it had very good-quality OPL emulator that could play also mid files (not only mus) and sounded very close to original SB so I really enjoyed it ..... enjoyed it until now.
Several days ago I noticed that OPL emulator is being removed from newest beta (0.98e). It was really terrible news to me. And that all is just olny some really >>STUPID<< license reasons! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Just only because MAME has silly license on their perfect OPL emulator that disallows using their code in a closed-source program, Skulltag must be stripped of a very nice feature that only very few game ports have. Actually I don't know any old-game port (except zdoom and its derivates, and dosbox of course), that provides OPL emulation. For example I played Duke Nukem 3D ports (jfDuke and EDuke32), but none of them had OPL emulation that I would like.
So in this post, I want to tell that I really disagree with removing OPL feature from skulltag, because playing Skulltag would become much less valuable for me. Of course I know that not many people are using OPL, it is rather being used by oldschool fans that played original DOS doom with Sound Blaster and want to enjoy that sound still today. But I still think that just removing the feature is not good and should not be the permanent solution. There must be some way to use OPL emulator in Skulltag normally. For example, I'm now supporting Skulltag of becoming open-source in order to legalize OPL emulator. But still there must be any way to use it during current situation. For example, why it was being used in skulltag for more than one year (I think it came in v0.98a), but now somebody came up with a reason to disallow it?
Hmm, that's all from me. I hope somebody will at least try to solve this problem. After new version with no OPL support is released and used for servers, I will most likely not play skulltag anymore. But that would be really shame because I very like playing Skulltag and I think it's the BEST doom port ever in the world.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:24 am

Well Skulltag will never will be open source because hackers are what caused it to become closed in the first place. So if they have to remove it, they will. I'll admit I do like the OPL emulator to an extent, but I rarely use it anyway (Timidity is better). So just suck it up and accept it dude. If you can't well there's always going back to (G)Zdoom and older versions of Skulltag.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:34 am
Profile YIM WWW
Retired/Inactive Staff

Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:40 pm
Profile WWW

Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:25 am

So, would the removal be permanent throughout versions after 0.98e, or would it perhaps make a return? I enjoy the OPL Emulator because there are quite a few midis that sound great with it, while others may sound better in Fmod, Soundfonts, etc, though I never actually use FMod or the other MIDI Devices.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:01 pm
Administrator

Timidity++ with an OPL Soundfont.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 pm
Profile WWW

Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:33 pm

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:49 pm

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:54 am
Developer

Uhm, this way you should change music manually ...

Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:43 am

There are OPL-3 Soundfonts out there, but I have yet to encounter one that has the same timbres as Doom.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:12 pm

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:50 am
Developer

Then your "external program" is still linked to skulltag code, so the problem still exists.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:32 am
Lead Developer

The discussion here lead to me think about the following scenario: Let's say we add a plugin interface to Skulltag (which is very unlikely to happen, all this is just hypothetical) that allows people to let Skulltag use custom code and release a sample plugin under the modified BSD license. Then someone else uses the sample plugin code to create a plugin using GPL code. That person then distributes the plugin with full source and the end user downloads Skulltag and the plugin separately to use them together. I think the GPL legally can't forbid any of these steps.

Somehow similar to .

EDIT: Just remembered that there are GPL plugins for Winamp, so the plugin idea seems to be fine.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:59 am
Profile ICQ
Developer

The plugin idea is interesting, for this and also for other features like the voice chat and, eventually, a GPL software renderer.

I can see this as an innovative feature for the 99a release, not for 98e.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:33 am

I'd rather see effort invested in implementing the stuff that has been deemed required for opening the source code (e.g., the authentication server) than in devising a plugin architecture.

Plus I think that a plugin architecture allowing to replace the renderer would be a much greater liability as far as preventing hacks goes than open source code.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:58 am
Developer

I didn't specify anything about going open source or not. I assumed that 99a will be open source'd. Plugin doesn't mean "stay closed", but "circumvent the BSD license by adding GPL code".

Those events should occur in this order: auth server -> open source -> plugin.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:52 am

Well it's going a bit off-topic here. All I wanted to solve in this thread is that players can use OPL emulator in ST 0.98e. The external emulator doesn't need to be some kind of "plugin", but it should be (if possible, of course) program with same interface as Timidity. So a player choose "Timidity++" as midi device, and Skulltag will use the program that seems to be Timidity but it is actually emulator.
And Timidity is an external program that is normally being used with ST now.
So if somebody can make such program he gets many thanks from me and other oldschool players.

Or using OPL soundfonts with Timidity can suffice if it sounds exactly like the emulator.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:50 pm
Lead Developer

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:17 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]