Skulltag Archive

Hosted by Dark-Assassin

The default theme was not avalible in the backup, sorry.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
[Hexen WIP] The Ranger - 9/17/2011 BETA RELEASED 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/17/2011: Beta Version Released

Well, that took far longer than it should have. Roughly a month of struggling with SBarInfo, which I eventually gave up on (I apologize to everyone who wants to play this without the status bar), and Skulltag eventually refusing to play anything Hexen related.
For the very few of those interested in this, I apologize deeply for the delay.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://www.multiupload.com/U7YXYGGS5T - (File size is about six megs)

You will notice two files in there. There's an interesting story behind that.
While working on the pick-up system for the pieces of the Godcannon, I found that Skulltag doesn't support A_Log. For the most part, I'm a flexible man and there's not a lot in the whole ZDoom/Skulltag functionality that really bothers me. Unfortunately, the difference between A_Log and A_Print for pick-ups is placed firmly outside my comfort zone.
The ZD version is code-wise exactly the same, but with A_Print replaced with A_Log. For those who are just as anal about little things as I am and don't want the Godcannon pickups to give you text in the center of the screen but rather in the corner, please use the ZD version.
Why this has made me so anal and not other things is beyond me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8/7/2011: Alpha Version Released
I have only one beta tester, since all but one of my friends are not interested in Doom. I would really like feedback on this, so I just have to swallow down the "OH GOD IT'S NOT READY THEY'LL ALL HATE ME" fears and put it out to you guys for input. If you would consider downloading this, checking it out, and offer input, I would DEEPLY appreciate it.
Please be gentle, this is my first time.

DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://www.multiupload.com/RKPBMZOHYW - (File size is about 3.71 megs)

Hello. I'm a guy from the internet, and this is my very first planned-to-be-released-once-it's-finished mod. It's an extra character class for Hexen that allows you to shoot bullets from guns.
I'm very sorry it's not anything big, but I hope it's interesting nonetheless.
Please enjoy.

STORY:
The world of Cronos is a world under absolute rule. The Legion, the Arcanum, and the Church, collectively known as the Three, control all aspects of human society. Individualism is no longer existent, as even the most minute details of everyday life are controlled and regulated. Thought is monitored and people are constantly watched, and privacy does not exist even in one's own home. Their aims are admirable--to keep mankind from destroying itself under the sheer power it holds in its hands.
Without the Legion, humankind would be able to create greater and greater weapons, crafting devastating tools of war and honing their bodies to perfection.
Without the Arcanum, the sheer possibilities of experimentation with magic could unweave the fabric of reality and bring about torment for all eternity.
Without the Church, people would be unable to know what is truly "right" and "wrong", and would be willing to exploit and hurt each other simply for satisfaction.

Their aims are admirable. Unfortunately, the aims of the Three have become twisted--the iron grip that they have on man have clenched tighter and
tighter over time, as each leader only continues to stifle humanity. They have gone from a necessary evil for the greater good to cruel tyrants crushing with power nobody else can wield, and not a single day goes by without laws twisted to ensure even more control over the populace.
When Korax invaded and conquered Cronos, it hardly seemed any worse. An agonizing death at the hands of his unholy minions was little different than a life spent under the hands of the Three.

Yet, there is one locale that stays far out of the reach of the Three.
The Legion controls human might and technology.
The Arcanum controls human knowledge and magic.
The Church controls human spirituality and philosophy.
All of these, however, deal with concepts begat from society and order that are strictly human. For a realm where societies no power and orders are ever-changing, the Three have no hold.
Thus enters the very inhuman realm of nature. Horrifying beasts, unexplored woods, terrifying waters, deadly caverns, nature has held the world in its thrall long before humans were etched into history. For those that wish freedom from the Three, the arms of nature spread wide in a welcome to all humans--provided they survive. Those that flee the towns of the Three will find that nature can be just as cruel, but those who tackle any challenge become warriors legendary in their abilities.
Such people are known as Rangers. Rangers become not unlike beasts themselves in human guise, with light movements in the shadows of the night and striking faster than fangs unsheathed from a gaping mouth. It is said that to know a Ranger is to know aeons of the wild, to have one as an ally is to have a loyal warrior who considers you his pack, and to have one as an enemy is to forever disbar the forests as a safe place to traverse.

One Ranger in particular is Terence. While hardly the one-man-army that other Rangers can boast of being, for Terence he has had life in both the wild and in society. Having been born in the city, raised in the wild, loved and married in a humble town, and then fled back to the forests after tragedy, he has suffered and prospered on both sides. So, now, as the communities of Cronos decline, the Three bolster their grip with the curse of unlife, and Korax continues to spread his evil influence, he decides to strike back.
The next night, the Ranger climbs down from the mountains, lowering himself to the front of the legendary Winnowing Hall. Among the first of the many places set upon by Korax's minions, the chapels bell sounds out as a death knell for doom. Two-headed beasts, Ettins, patrol the courtyard, while gargoyles blackened from constantly-pulsing hellfire patrol the skies.
At the sight of this, a smirk crosses his face. His only response is to crack his knuckles, punctuated with one statement:
"Show me what you've got."

QUESTIONS N' ANSWERS:
God DAMN that was way too long. What the hell is this?:
Sorry, I like to write. The Ranger is a mod for Hexen, adding a fourth playable character--obviously, a Ranger. Much like how the Mage, Fighter, and Cleric are DnD-esque medieval fantasy classes, the Ranger is also a DnD-esque medieval fantasy class with his own abilities.

No shit. So what does this tree-hugger do?:
The Ranger is an agile ranged-based character that acts as an all-around class in a different way from the Cleric. He is faster than the Cleric but not as fast as the Fighter, and while like the Mage he is strictly a ranged fighter his armor is significantly more durable and capable. What he lacks in magic, the Ranger more than makes up in with mass quantities of gunpowder and more than a desire to fire it.

Okay. Why? Nobody plays Hexen, it's boring as hell.:
Yeah. The biggest problem I have with Hexen is how dull the characters are to play as. Without the Doomguy's constant grimace or Corvus' wicked laughter, the characters feel lifeless. The weapons are incredibly boring, uninteresting to use, and combat with them feels so much more like a chore than anything fun. I think that with some good medieval guns in hand begat from modern-day modding, this can easily take care of that problem.

Whatever, I'm still not convinced. What can we expect from this?:
Sorry. Not much, to be honest. It's just a new character class.
* Voice acting! The Ranger grunts and groans, has a Taunt, and generally has more than one sound clip!
* One-liners! Upon starting the game, and upon wielding the weapon for the first time! ...that's not a lot, actually...
* Four new weapons! With reloading systems and ricochet effects and other interesting stuff!
* Claws, allowing you to rip and tear beautifully. Far from just a typical hold-button-to-fight like the Cleric's and Fighter's, the Claws utilizes a Zen-Dynamics-esque combo system allowing for three different combo strings.
* Ironsheath, a flintlock pistol that can fire a great distance and pick off targets far off! Excellent range weapon in a nifty package!
* Scrapbox, a handheld carronade that sprays sharp rods of scrap metal in a wide formation. While useless for long range, up close it's horrifying!
* A secret gun that needs to be assembled together from three parts before you can hold it in your hand...

Fantastic, a bullet-point list shorter than wow.wad's span of dignity. What do you have left to do?:
Well, really, not a lot. Almost all of the coding, sounds, voice effects, and etc is done at this point. The biggest things I have left to do are A: the sprite edits, and B: original behavior for the flechette. I'm...not looking forward to the art, but I'll try my best. Please don't be too upset at my lack of coding or artistic ability.

SCREENSHOTS:

PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE SCREENSHOTS ARE OUTDATED.

The jerk you play as.

--------------

The difficulty levels. All the way over to the left, for some reason. Please don't be shy, guys, the forumites won't hurt you. I think.

--------------

Swiping with the Claws. I'm sorry, please excuse the placeholder graphics at the moment. Hopefully I can get them looking more like normal hands in the future.

--------------

Or you could just knee him in the face. That works, too.

--------------

The Ironsheath pistol, aimed at a very unconvinced-of-the-dead-bodies-next-to-him Serpent's kidney.

--------------

The Scrapbox carronade in action, tearing through a Gargoyle's head and imbedding themselves in the wall behind.

--------------

Yeah, I wasn't kidding about that imbedding thing.

--------------

Wait, what? Is this the...?

Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:16 am, edited 14 times in total.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:32 am

When I first saw the word "guns" I groaned, but because I too am a fan of writing, especially for a mod's intro, I kept reading. And I'm glad. Not only did I learn that they were guns more than capable of existing in HeXen's time frame(is that the right phrase?), I learned that this looks awesome. About to try it out now. Also, Strife's nade launcher? Yes please.

EDIT: Well, I WOULD try this if there was a link... -_-u Look, then type.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Using a new class in hexen, you're doing it wrong

And yeah, no link here buddy

Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:13 pm

Yeah, no download link, sorry. It's still a WIP, not a release.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:56 pm

Released the alpha version. Details are in the first post.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:43 pm

Wow, cool, but weapons feels underpowered. they need more power, and delete the 1 mana cost for reload! >C

Last edited by Aserejé on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:01 pm

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:46 am

Well, I just found a huge, game-breaking bug... you can't open any doors or break any breakable glass. Why is that? And how come no one else mentioned it before I did? XD

Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:14 pm

Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Guns in Hexen?

No.

Just no.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:21 pm

Aw man why didn't you tell me sooner. :(

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:34 pm

Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:58 am

Wow! It is just now nice :) also :F scrapbox + any enemy that have knockback at his body when die...
Without that Your class is beautiful at gameplay.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:34 am

This class may be unfair to the others for being too responsive and fun.

Is there a reason flechettes drain your ironsheath of ammo.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:01 am

Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:49 am

Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:39 am

Just checked. Yup, that was it. Fix'd.

Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:49 pm

Well, that took far longer than it should have. Roughly a month of struggling with SBarInfo, which I eventually gave up on (I apologize to everyone who wants to play this without the status bar), and Skulltag eventually refusing to play anything Hexen related.
For the very few of those interested in this, I apologize deeply for the delay.

http://www.multiupload.com/U7YXYGGS5T - The download.

You will notice two files in there. There's an interesting story behind that.
While working on the pick-up system for the pieces of the Godcannon, I found that Skulltag doesn't support A_Log. For the most part, I'm a flexible man and there's not a lot in the whole ZDoom/Skulltag functionality that really bothers me. Unfortunately, the difference between A_Log and A_Print for pick-ups is placed firmly outside my comfort zone.
The ZD version is code-wise exactly the same, but with A_Print replaced with A_Log. For those who are just as anal about little things as I am and don't want the Godcannon pickups to give you text in the center of the screen but rather in the corner, please use the ZD version.
Why this has made me so anal and not other things is beyond me.

CHANGELOG:
1: Finished more player sprites. About half the skin is done now, and now there are sprites for jumping and standing still. For single-player, all of the relevant sprites are complete, and people can play through single-player without any immersion-jarring graphics changes.
2: The Ranger's hair and boots are no longer an interesting shade of glowing Hell-magma in ZDoom.
3: Finished sprites for the Claws, including the cracking of knuckles. The Godcannon also now actually has hands holding it, instead of floating off the Ranger's dick.
4: Reloading no longer alerts enemies.
5: The Godcannon now hits dry fire when it's truly empty, not when it has 2/3 shots remaining.
6: The Flechette no longer takes your gun's ammo.
7: Fixed an irritating bug where the Godcannon would sometimes randomly vanish while charging it.
8: The Godcannon actually rains fire now, like it was supposed to, instead of bullet sparks.
9: The Ranger no longer stops running to stare derpily ahead on the select screen.
10: Added a menu key for taunting. Skulltag already has taunts, but now ZDoom players can taunt, too. And they're different taunts!
11: The walking-ahead-from-behind animation is no longer a spastic mess.
12: Buffed the Claw chains. Their finishing moves do more damage, and other attacks do much less varied random damage.
13: Replaced the heavy-dude-in-armor-with-five-layers-of-metal-strapped-to-his-feet landing sound with something much lighter.
14: The Ironsheath dumps an empty mag on the ground when reloading.
15: The Razor Wind has a much prettier trail behind it, now. Also travels a bit slower and has less of a spread.
16: Everyone picks up their own respective shit now. Only the Ranger can get his caltrop Flechettes, instead of the Cleric, Fighter, and Mage being able to get them. The Cleric can get his weapons, the Fighter can get his weapons, etc.
17: In co-op/deathmatch, the Ranger's comments upon picking up weapons no longer play all over the map.
18: The Scrapbox spatters much less pronounced debris and sparks when hitting walls, now.
19: The Godcannon no longer randomly gives infinite ammo.
20: Added +CLIENTSIDEONLY to numerous non-interactive elements, for easier online play.
21: Re-arranged a lot of sound categories. Sounds shouldn't overlap each other as much now.
22: Bullet sparks are slightly more pronounced.
23: The Ironsheath is now more difficult to accidentally fan.
24: Trying to fan the Ironsheath without ammo no longer causes a hand to magically appear.
25: Online/multiplayer play will no longer instantly castrate you. It's still quite buggy (most prominent being the Ranger's skin not being finished and the Fighter and Ranger will have to compete over weapons), and it is HIGHLY suggested not to bring a Fighter along, but it's possible now.
26: The Ranger has his own unique class benefit for the Icon of the Defender now. While the others cause them to go more defensive, for the Ranger it causes him to go berserk in a feral fury.
27: The Scrapbox now has polished sprites, proper hands, and dumps spikes on the ground when reloading.

Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:31 pm

Hehe, nice. Before someone says something along the lines of "But OP, it's called the Icon of the Defender because it grants an impenetrable defense, giving you an offense oriented side benefit isn't right!", if what that story the OP put up got my mind heading in the right direction, Rangers would be the sort to believe the best defense is a good offense, so it totally makes sense to me. Gonna download the new version and test it now, will report back with thoughts then.

Although, as a side note, have you considered perhaps re-doing the other classes, you know, giving them a Ranger-style facelift? That'd be pretty sweet.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:43 am

That's an interesting idea to consider. Reloading, more visual feedback, smoother sprites, voice-acting...
I'll have to take a gander tomorrow and see how feasible it would be. The community could certainly use more HeXen love.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]